Rose Petal Wine


The wild roses are blooming! I have been collecting rose petals for the past few days. I put them in a freezer bag and just keep adding to it until the roses have finished blooming. Its a short period so I have to focus on collecting as many as I can during that time. 


I make rose petal wine with them, but rose petal jam and syrup are good too! This is what I collected this morning just from the back of my wild yard. 


I only use the petals for wine. I also collect the hips in the fall for jam but that comes later. This year I might add them to a "wild" wine. 



I would like to find a great collection of roses for picking, like the ones on the right. This was my rose collection when I lived in Ontario. 

I don't pick petals from roses on private property or ones used for landscaping in parking lots, without permission. I am also careful not to use petals from roses that have been sprayed so this limits the roses that I have access to.

It doesn't take a very large collection of rose bushes to get a gallon of petals if you pick daily. I pick every day and add them to a bucket in the freezer, crushing down the frozen petals until I have a gallon of packed, crushed petals. Then I make a gallon of wine with them. I have had enough petals in the past to make a five gallon bucket of wine. 

Rose petal wine if one of my favourites!
















No comments:

Post a Comment